Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Dolly for Amuge from the Calvin Marketing Class


She sat front and center among the many other young ones while preparing for the praise and worship that would open the second day of our seminar. Amuge raised her eyebrows, a common gesture of acknowledgement. Again and again she raised them although no exchange was taking place. I soon realized she was teasing me with her eyes.

I winked. She smiled. She raised those brows several times successively. I smiled. We traded silly looks until I pulled this dolly out of the bag and handed it to her. Pointing out that the dolly had silly eyes too, one side of the dolly had awake eyes and that another side had sleepy eyes. She smiled as did all the other children now so very interested in this new gift. Like every good child who receives this uncommon toy, she too checked under the dress.