Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Steeres in Kenya

What a lovely teacher Mardi is. I am so very thankful for the opportunity to have spent some time on rounds with her. Observing her with her doctor-students revealed her heart in helping people learn and grow so that they are best qualified to care for patients on their own. Her gentle way with the students, her humble admission of the need for research to find answers, and her thorough understanding of the cultural realities of life and death in a developing nation leave me in awe of her precious spirit.

We enjoyed a bit of lunch together and then walked to her nearby home where her husband, my U.S. Pastor’s nephew, was having lunch with their two children. Andy was in heaven with his box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese – a gift from I know not where. I didn’t think to ask why he wasn’t sharing with the children – the more common lovers of such treats. Andy is using his engineering background and his project management experience to help the local officials strengthen their infrastructure in the area.

The gift of having met Mardi and Andy was immeasurable (check out their website). That they would set aside their time for me with no known beneficial outcome to them was special but that they would so warmly welcome me and invite me into their lives was a true pleasure. I came away from this short visit so incredibly blessed.