Monday, May 13, 2013

Teaching Children About Missions


“Muzungu,” some tiny voices shouted from inside the small bedroom where those tiny voices were supposed to be sleeping. The adult caretakers and teachers came running to the door to greet me too. I love the family that is The Sanctuary Babies Home in part because of that freedom of expression and also because the children don’t fear but instead warmly love those who are caring for them.

That Box from My Grandbabies certainly had some goodies inside. I had the privilege of bringing those goodies to these kids and they almost devoured the package. Toothbrushes, toothpastes, crayons, and coloring books. All the things we love to do together – well…we don’t brush our teeth together.

LoHire is still such a tiny thing.
She lacks the proper nutrition to become strong.
The idea, though, is that American children (who just happen to be my grandchildren) learn about and understand what it means to live with less and have need of the simple things…and to reach out and share what little they can. Yet, also understand that we love the same Jesus way across the planet in an entirely different world. I’m so thankful to be the conduit for all of these kids who are so precious to me.