Monday, December 9, 2013

Faith Rises!

Sometimes we need a booster shot of faith, don’t we? I love reading the story of Job when I feel a bit weak in the knees. Chapters 38-41 inspire me to a level of faith I simply can’t keep to myself. Two points surface: 1) God is big, and 2) we are small. Ya, I know…simplistic. But sometimes that’s exactly what we need…down to earth, practical, applicable wisdom.

How Big is God
  • I laid the foundations of the earth. I marked off its dimensions. I stretched a measuring line across it. I set the footings and laid its cornerstone.
  • I shut the sea behind doors. I made the clouds its garment and wrapped it in darkness. I fixed limits for it and set the doors and bars in place.
  • Who cut a channel for the rain or a path for the thunderstorm? Who father’s the drop of dew?
  • From whose womb comes the ice? Who gives birth to the frost?
  • Who endowed the heart with wisdom or gave understanding to the mind?

How Small We Are
  • Have you given orders to the morning or shown the dawn its place?
  • Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea or walked in the recesses of the deep?
  • Have you seen the gates of death?
  • Have you comprehended the expanse of the earth?
  • Do you know where darkness resides?
  • Have you entered the storehouses of snow or hail?
  • How do you get to the place where lightening is dispersed or where the winds are scattered over the earth?
  • Can you bind Pleiades? Can you bring forth constellations in their seasons?
  • Can you raise your voice to the clouds and cover yourself with water? Do you send lightning bolts on their way? Do they report to you?
  • Do you hunt prey for the lioness or provide food for the raven?
  • Do you know when the animals give birth or when the young grow and thrive?
  • Is the wild ox content to serve you?
  • Does the eagle soar at your command?


You can read the rest for yourself. As for me, I am in awe of God’s power and presence over everyday life. Not one question to Job can be answered favorably by him…or by me. Not one single question.


And so...if God laid the foundations of the earth, and we cannot know one single thing about which he asks, can’t we have faith that he’ll move our mountains?