Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Wet Season

A sudden chill at 4:00 a.m. compelled me to cover up with the small Turkish Airlines blanket used during my last trip to nap in the airport. There are no open windows in my room so I didn’t associate the chill with anything special. Moments later all the water in the world was unleashed atop our thin metal roof. In the pitch black of my room, I dozed to that constant drone. A quick snap of thunder jolted me and the neighbor’s car alarm awake. Occasional rumbles in the background lulled me back to sleep. At 6:00 a.m. the rain still poured down just as hard as when it began.

I stepped out on the porch into two inches of water that splashed up to my waste. I’d hopes of getting a good video…too dark outside. Roosters crow without regard to the weather. I could only imagine the slicker-than-snot roads based on my walk in the rain during my first visit. No walking for me this morning.

By 7:00 a.m. the rains sounded just as heavy, but with smaller drops…the pitch was higher. The thunder continued to rumble. This is the wet season. 8:00 a.m. still raining consistently. We’re supposed to host a tutoring session this morning. 11:00 a.m. still raining hard.