Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Children's Worship

The number of children following me around Paidha multiplies. Where I stay, about 20 children rough and tumbled around me. When I sat under the shade tree, they came closer and eventually I shook the hands of each one, some two or three times. Not wanting to waste the opportunity but also wondering about the language barrier, I began to sing songs that had motions that went with the words.




If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands.
If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands.
If you’re happy and you know it then your life will surely show it,
If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands.

We added stomp your feet, say “amen,” and do all three. We also sang Head and Shoulders, Knees, and Toes and ended with “clap your hands and praise him.” Let’s see…we sang the Praise Ye the Lord song and we sang Jesus Loves Me…the children knew the chorus. After singing each song a dozen times the children just stood there and stared at me. Apparently I am entertainment enough just to look at.

While waiting for the women’s ministry to begin, about 100 children appeared and those who participated in singing this morning kept saying “sing.” So, sing we did. We went through the list of songs twice before I was called to begin ministry to the women. The mothers watched on and laughed to see the children being so engaged.