Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pastors in Agago District

I am constantly amazed at how often I’m asked to minister directly with the pastors who attend such workshops. I feel entirely inadequate to teach these men of God and yet somehow they feel they’ve learned something when we’ve finished together. I have increasingly come to realize how much these men love God and how much they long to know him more. So many topics for discussion are taboo for pastors and we typically begin by discussing the importance of confidentiality…particularly for their wives. We discuss the issue of feeling alone and the value of solidarity (and thus the importance of confidentiality). We discuss the higher standard these couples are or ought to be held to. We talk about the role of pastors’ wives in the church and so many other issues. Typically a time of question and answer reveals similar concerns among the various groups with whom I’ve spent time and somehow they feel comfortable exposing their vulnerabilities to me as we pray together for the wisdom of God.