Thursday, June 9, 2011

Leslie Learn's to Drive

Along that remote dirt road returning from Kotido some of the team hopped out for pictures of the countryside, others hopped out to “ease themselves.” Gabriel had taken my camera so I, devious person that I am, hopped into the driver’s seat and took off down the road at what could have been clocked at 10 km per hour…at least. No cars had passed to this point so driving down the center of a remote dirt road seemed reasonable practice. Patrick, the driver, didn’t come chasing after me so I took that as permission.

Whoops, a car came speeding up behind me. Which side am I supposed to move to? I started to the right then realized the mistake and moved to the left. Yep, swerving all over the road trying to figure out how to get out of the way. Watchers might have thought I’d been sipping on the local brew…until they saw I was mzungu.

I think when you drive a taxi you’re supposed to have passengers. Well, they needed the exercise.

Closest first: Laura, Mark, Patrick (driver)