Monday, June 13, 2011

Real Pancakes

Betty Crocker has been tucked away in a Ziplock for several months now just collecting dust on the lower pantry shelf in the kitchen. Mom sent me two boxes of white cake mix with frosting because Lauren had a hankerin’. Lauren picked up the box while I was away and never made the cake. These boxes called to me…but the dilemma, as always, was how to cook them with only a propane gas stovetop cooker.

Eventually I got around to thinking to myself, self…how different are pancakes from cake-cake really? They can’t be that much different. I wonder if white cake in the shape of pancakes would cook in the pan properly. Hmm, pan-cakes.

I broke open the box and carefully measured the powdery mix out onto a plate-bowl. (That would be 4 cups exactly.) I chose to divide the mix into thirds because three egg whites were required and dividing eggs seemed most challenging. Then I moved 2.66 cups back into the original bag and used a clothespin to seal it from our ant friends. I divided the remaining ingredients into thirds – 1 egg white, 1/3 plus 1/3 of 1/3 cup water, and 1/3 of 1/2 cup oil.

Oil in the pan and cake mix in the pan in small pancake-cookie shapes. The cookies were a bit lighter and fluffier than pancakes but, um…they were soooooo good. Frosting topped the mix although that may come back on me later. The can seemed to have popped open like the individual size can of Pringles on an airplane. So, this frosting may have been open since January. I thought the little brown things were chocolate chips.