Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Dolly for Anisha from Cary

Anisha was among a gaggle of children hollering after me as I parked the car near Carpenter John’s home. Following our visit, she was still waiting for my return. This time, though, she flashed one of the most beautiful smiles I’ve seen…which I neglected to capture on film after about 30 failed attempts. She watched patiently from the background while the rest of the children bombarded me as I distributed candy whose wrappers now litter the ground.



From the safety of the car I motioned to Anisha and called jangu (come). She hesitantly approached at which time I played peek-a-boo with the doll out the car window. She watched with such intense interest. Finally Cary’s foster dolly jumped out the car window and into her new momma’s arms. Again, the adorable picture moments were perfect and I missed every one by split seconds. Instead our Kodak moment is something akin to a horrified grimace.

The smile returned as Alisha examined this gift with approval while she protected the toy from the marauding boys with the fierceness of a real mother.