Monday, December 19, 2011

A Dolly for Baby Prison Boy from Joyce

Mommas keep their babies with them while they serve their prison term and this baby was full of personality. I held out my hand for him to come and he squirmed in his mother’s lap until she finally released him. Often such young children shy away (or scream) when they just look at me let alone when invited to come to me. Not walking yet, he made his way over in no time nearly pulling my skirt right off as he grabbed at the fabric to steady himself.

I gave the small one an apple and rather than trying to eat that apple he proceeded to pound the bejeebers out of that thing all over the floor. It was like he knew he was making applesauce and that the treat was inside a piƱata. At one point he put that apple back inside the bag of about 10 other apples. I went digging for that mashed disaster of an apple and couldn’t find it again. Really…did God restore the apple? Huh.

 









The women wanted to show us the mats they were weaving in their part of the prison so we followed behind. Kneeling to wait for the keeper, I snuck the first ever boy doll into the hands of the baby prison boy. Oh he was so very happy and maama was surprised and thankful too. Baby prison boy started talking to his dolly and making all kinds of lip smacking sounds. Occupied for a while, loved for a lifetime.