Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Dolly for Martha from Judith P

The dolls, dresses, and Bibles got pulled out of the giant duffle in preparation for visiting the Maruri Slums. Gertrude began examining and admiring those dollies, which I found very odd. Here is a woman who sews for Jacaranda Creations, she is quite capable of finding a pattern and making such things with her own hands…she even did ask for the pattern. Jacaranda makes African style dolls too…yet Gertrude liked these dollies.

In a soft voice she asked to have one of these dollies. She told me about her niece and her grand-niece and well…I couldn’t resist. I was so flattered that this capable woman would fall head over heels for such a thing. Here’s the letter Gertrude wrote in thanks for this small gift.

“My name is Gertrude Muhando. I love your doll. I have taken your doll to give to my niece called Jackline. She is 25 years old and has a child of 2 1/2 years called Martha. She lives upcountry in the village called Karia, near Kiambu. She lives with her mother as my brother, her dad, passed away in 2000. The man who made her pregnant had promised to marry her and did not. She is at home without a job and has no livelihood. She depends on her mother and elder siblings. She is 3rd born in the family. I will give Martha the doll for Christmas. Thank you very much and God bless you.”